Thursday, March 11, 2010

What Makes a Good Friend

What makes a good friend??? As I ponder this question I realize that we often don't recognize what we appreciate about a person until they are absent from us. Over the years I have come to make a mental list of the things that make a really good quality friend...someone who is loyal, like-minded, passionate about the same things, enjoys life the same way, makes me laugh, brings out the best in me, encourages, loves unconditionally through the good times and the hard times, is comfortable to be with, challenges me, someone I can talk with constantly or enjoy silence with. These are just a few of the things I can think of. It is rare to find such a lifelong friend. As I have read back through old journals from junior high and high school this week I have seen how many good friends I've had that have come and gone. They were best friends for a season and then life drew us apart and we moved on. The last few months my family has laughed at me because I say that most of my friends live in the computer (aka they live far away and I can only keep in touch with them through the computer). This last week however, God blessed me with a visit from my kindred spirit, Laura. As we toured together with the African Children's Choir I gradually saw that she would be one of those rare lifelong friends. Everything is better with Laura by my side. Every day this past week was full of treasured memories, as I showed her around my home state of Oregon and introduced her to the people and places that shaped my childhood and my life.
We climbed Roxyanne...

We enjoyed the breathtaking sights at Crater Lake...


We picnicked at Mill Creek Falls...


We cooked lots of new recipes and drank lots of tea...


This week I am thanking the Lord for good friends and the way He uses them to influence my life. If you have such a friend in your life remember to tell them how much you love them and appreciate them. You can never say it too much!

No comments: