Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Life at Mirembe House

I have arrived safely at Mirembe House, which is nestled in the woods near Raleigh, North Carolina. I will call this home for two weeks while I learn about living with and teaching the children from Uganda. I continue to pinch myself to make sure this is not a dream. There is nothing as wonderful as waking up to 26 hugs from beautiful African children and giving 26 hugs before bed! The last few days have been laid back, filled with school, playtime, and rehearsals. Today, little Fiona read to me from The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. I was blown away by hear reading skills and expression. What a treat! One other favorite moment yesterday occurred while I was sitting on the back porch with several of the kids. Little Joshua asked if he could give me fire. Upon seeing my confused look, he motioned and I realized he meant a back rub! Let me tell you..those little hands really did contain fire! Tomorrow I will do some teaching, though I don't know what yet and I am nervous, since I do not even know the children's names yet. It is nearly time for evening devotions, so I must go for now...

No comments: