Sunday, December 14, 2008

Pre-Christmas Texas Fun

I'm tired and fighting a cold tonight, but just wanted to write down a few bits and pieces about the last few days here in Grapevine Texas. Sorry if it's a little incoherent...
We are at Fellowship Church (with Pastor Ed Young....maybe you have heard of him?) for 5 whole days right now and it's so nice to be in one place for awhile. Wev'e been blessed with great hosts and lovely experiences the last couple days. The kids performed several times for 4000+ people this weekend at the church and it was quite exciting. The stage and auditorium here remind me of what American Idol must look like :) I have thought a lot this weekend about where the kids have come from the where they are now. From the dirt and poverty of Africa to the flashy stages and cushy lifestyle of America. How different it is. This tour is changing their lives (mostly in a good way), but it also reminds us how materialistic and ungrateful we are here in America. I pray everyday that the kids don't take on an American attitude while they are here. This morning I was was thinking about this at Starbucks...four months ago I was sitting in the red dirt with Gladys and Peace, eating Matooke from a plastic bowl. This morning I sat in a cushy chair with them, enjoying our Starbucks drinks together! There is actually a funny story to go with it. As we walked in I informed the girls that this was the place where their aunties and uncles get what they call our "happy juice." As they took in all the sights, sounds, and smells of our beloved Starbucks, Steve got them each a tiny hot chocolate. What a treat! As we climbed back in the car, Peace exclaimed in a very excited voice, "Thank you auntie and uncle for the happy juice!" Priceless...

The Christmas festivities everywhere are in full swing and even though I am unable to take part in family celebrations or time with friends, it's been a fun weekend of Christmas celebrations for us here in Texas. Saturday morning we took the girls to their first parade. Gotta love the small town parades. My favorite part was the dancing tuba players and the bagpipes!

Tonight we joined another host family and and a group of neighbors for an evening of caroling in the neighborhood. I miss caroling with my family at Christmas, so it was great to have this opportunity. We created quite a ruckus and a scene with all our bells and crazy christmas scarves. I must admit it was the first time I have caroled in a t-shirt! I was missing the sweater, coat, mittens, hat, and scarf...only in Texas (and well maybe California, Arizona, Florida, and a few other places :).

One more week of concerts and then we rest for a week at Christmas camp! Can't wait for cookie baking and movies!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for coming to our church! You guys were awesome!