Tuesday, September 21, 2010

26 Years Later...




Last week I celebrated my 26th birthday. I don't know where I thought I would be at 26 years old-probably married with kids and working in an office somewhere-but I'm glad to be standing where I am looking back at the last 26 years. Before I was created in my mother's womb God knew my name. He knew what I would look like. He knew what would make me smile. He knew what my heart would beat for. He knew how many hairs would be on my head. He knew me. I'm thankful that He knew me/knows me better than I know myself. He's taken me places that I never dreamed and opened my eyes and heart to a world of beauty.

Right now I sit at a desk for most of the day and I don't always feel like I am spending my time
in the most meaningful way possible. I'd rather be sitting in the dirt in Africa with a bunch of children, or in a classroom teaching a bunch of eager students about life. But, the truth is that right now God has me here and he is preparing me for what is ahead. Even here, I have many opportunities to show God's love and to serve. So I strive to be faithful, even in the non-glamorous things of life.

A friend shared a quote with me recently that was shared with her by a wise professor. He said

"maybe you need to stop trying to save the world for awhile."

The words keep running across my mind. Too often I find myself trying to save the world or wishing I could save the world and instead becoming frustrating. It's not my job. I know that.
The problem is that I tend to take the burdens of the world on my shoulders instead of leaving them up to Christ, who already has it all under control. He only calls me to be faithful in the small things and to plant seeds. I can't control anything and I need to stop trying.

I went to the Oregon Coast to celebrate my birthday with my family. As I dug my feet in the warm sand and watched the waves crashing one after the other the phrase God kept giving me was

"Live and Let Go."

It sounds cliche, but it was what I needed to here.

I asked God to take all the things that cause me to worry and to help me let go...

I wrote it in the sand for all to see...


And then as a symbol I plunged into the cold ocean fully clothed, jeans and all to jump the waves (and be attacked by giant tangles of seaweed that wanted to drag me out to sea)...


After a discouraging couple of weeks my spirits were lifted this week and I was overwhelmed by the birthday love I received from friends and family. I am truly blessed. May year 27 be filled with new adventures, sweet moments, lessons learned, and a life well lived...

1 comment:

Heather's Journey said...

Love you so much Friend! May we be telescopes and not microscopes for God. His Canvas is Beautiful and Bigger and we could ever imagine.